Tuesday, January 27, 2009

It May Sound Corny: Part I

It may sound corny...

...but hosting a one-year countdown party proved to be a great way to

A) introduce our families and friends to each other;
B) share some of our favorite summer recipes; AND
C) try out some new treats for our guests.

We cooked up the idea in the late spring, and it seemed like the perfect idea for a longer engagement like ours (21 months!).

The feel? Casual, backyard celebration. Not an engagement party; rather, a celebration of 365 days until our wedding!

The guests? Both our families and our close friends.

The cuisine? Well, now. Here, we were realistic. We ordered two hoagie trays, but committed to making three (huge!) side dishes, two desserts and one appetizer.

With an event starting to take shape, I turned my focus to the invites. As our first wedding-related outreach, I wanted to start communicating our colors and the (subtle) theme that was starting to take place. (Um...yeah, that'd be food.)

Using Microsoft Word, Paper Source cards, the trusty Cuttlebug and some ribbon, I came up with this.



(Please excuse the poorly blocked out parts -- privacy, you know.)


Mr. Bruschetta even pitched in to help assemble them! (Though, apparently, it was very serious, solemn work.)

I'm dying to recreate one of our side dishes to share with the hive, but all three are super summery (fresh corn, tomatoes, herbs, etc.), so I'll have to take a raincheck for when those ingredients (which I'm craving right now!) become available.

Are you hosting any pre-wedding mixers for your guests?

1 comment:

  1. This is a great idea! I may have to blatantly steal it :)

    (I saw your link on the weddingbee board and thought I'd pop over and say hi!)

    ReplyDelete