Saturday, May 9, 2009

Secrets

Sure, I have my share of wedding-related secrets. Mr. Bruschetta's made it clear I should conceal every aspect of my wedding day look from him, and I'm happy to comply. Daddy Bruschetta and I will be the only two, prior to the father-daughter dance, who know the song to which we'll spin around the dance floor. And I'm definitely planning a few surprises for the Bruschetta 'maids and bridal attendants.

So I suppose it's only fair to expect some secrecy directed my way. See, recently, I haven't been able to shake the feeling that my gals -- and even my mister -- have been working to keep something from me. I'm intrigued. I'm nosy. I'm wondering when they're going to let the cat out of the bag.




And I'm speculating exactly what they've got in the works. I've been replaying conversations in my head, looking for clues. Yes, I did tell the girls Mr. Bruschetta and I wanted a co-ed shower; no, I didn't give too many specifics about bachelorette party preferences. I'm also paying attention to telling behaviors, like the night Mr. Bruschetta was muttering, obviously irritated at his computer, but repeatedly saying he couldn't 't let me know what issue he was having with it.

I don't want to be presumptuous by assuming there even is anything being planned in my honor. But until I know definitively, I'm also fighting off bouts of bridal guilt. Because I know firsthand how challenging it can be to organize a surprise shower, having hosted Sister Bruschetta's the summer before her autumn wedding. At the time, Mama Bruschetta and I struggled to find the time to discuss the soiree, and Sister Bruschetta seemed to pop up at the most inconvenient times. (Although hilarious in retrospect, this really did get to be extremely frustrating; when the phone would ring, we'd check the caller I.D., see it was Sister Bruschetta, and actually moan aloud.) And you know what they say about karma. Sister Bruschetta walked into her bridal shower wearing a bathing suit under her shorts and tank top, so clearly expecting an afternoon in the hot tub with friends.* Will I be similarly hookwinked?

Is anyone else in the same position as me, theorizing that your nearests and dearests are planning surprise pre-wedding festivities?

*Don't worry, though, we'd planned ahead and had a cute new dress at the ready for her to change into!

No comments:

Post a Comment