Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The Writing On the Wall

Augustitis [aw-guhst-eye-tis]: inflammation of the calm, rational, stress-free portion of a bride-to-be's mind, caused by her impending August wedding.

To my knowledge, there are only two known cures for Augustitis: an elopement, or enhanced planning and organization. Fortunately, Mr. Bruschetta -- another useful antidote to my particular case of Augustitis -- recently stepped in with a simple, manageable way of tackling the to-be-completed items. (We were both inspired by Miss D'Orsay's decision-making time line -- it seems to have helped with her Augustitis, too!)



It's not the most glamorous wall decor -- or ::ahem:: handwriting, Dr. Bruschetta -- but it does the job.

We're taking it one week at a time, aided by simple supplies -- giant Post-It Notes and color-coded Sharpies -- and ten(ish) items from our lengthy list of tasks and deadlines. When we write out our "homework" (each Monday night), Mr. Bruschetta and I decide who will take the lead on which tasks. And, just because it's not on the list doesn't mean it can't be started.

I'm lucky my mister knows me so well; I'm fiercely competitive, and do best when there's a discernible goal. (But I also prefer things in smaller bites, so I can devote time and energy to them without feeling overwhelmed.) So, having several to-do list items in front of my face whenever I'm at home? And the incentive to tackle several other ones before they even make the list? We're only on the second week of our "big paper" plan, but I'm already breathing easier.

Are you tackling your to-do list differently as your wedding approaches?

No comments:

Post a Comment