Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Supporting the Girls

Not those. My cups definitely do not runneth over, so I'm referring instead to these girls.




And my tootsies are temperamental, at best.

I first started having issues in spring 2007, as Mr. Bruschetta and I were training for our first 5K. Three strikes -- improper technique (yup, I was a toe runner), unfamiliar terrain (I had been on an inside track, and transitioned too quickly to an asphalt path) and a falling arch (my Achilles heel, if you will) -- left me limping along with shin splints mere days before the run.

Stubborn and foolish, but determined to complete the 5K, I ran on my shin splints. In the coming weeks, I'd regret that decision, as I was forced away from cardio machines and into the pool for the lowest-impact workout possible -- I'm buoyant, but so not a swimmer!

At this point, Mr. Bruschetta stepped in, with access to myriad physical therapy resources. With help, I began strengthening exercises, amazed at how weak (and lacking proper balance!) I was. We visited a foot-oriented specialty shop, and with the addition of over-the-counter orthotics, my tired soles fell no longer.

I've learned if I don't keep up with stretches and exercises, the discomfort may come back. And, believe it or not, running is one of the best things I've been able to do for myself.

I spend the majority of my time in sneakers now, but can't wait to start searching for cuter, wedding-appropriate shoes. One night of impractical footwear shouldn't do too much harm, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment