Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Long and Short of It

Gimme head with hair
Long beautiful hair
Shining, gleaming,
Streaming, flaxen, waxen


Just a few years ago, I had my own head of "down to there hair." Freshman year in college, I decided to grow my usually shoulder-length locks for a worthy cause. Then, a few weeks before starting senior year, I kissed a sizable chunk of my tresses goodbye. The stylist pulled my hair back into a ponytail, grabbed a ruler and snipped through at the ten-inch mark. It was nerve-wracking and exhilarating all at once!


Then, she cleaned up the rough cut.



I snuck out to have make my donation without telling any family, friends -- or even Mr. Bruschetta! Surprisingly everyone with my new 'do was so much fun, and I loved the short style after a few years of something much longer.

So much so, in fact, that after college, I adopted an even shorter length, keeping my hair jawbone-length.



Even after our engagement, I clipped my locks one last time. But, I realized on my first dress-shopping outing that the wispy look wouldn't work for my wedding day vision (especially considering that late August in Philly [hazy, hot and humid!] will mean frizzy, unpredictable strands and the definite need for an updo!), and sought to return to my roots (::wink wink::) with a style that's slightly longer than shoulder-length.

I've been treating my locks lovingly -- only occasionally blow-drying, and seeking to speed growth by taking a daily biotin vitamin -- but still sometimes miss my shorter style!

Is the weather influencing your wedding day hairstyle?

No comments:

Post a Comment